A leaked version of Apple's iOS 11 software first published on Reddit late Friday confirms several key features coming to the iPhone 8, which Apple is expected to officially unveil on Tuesday, September 12.
The blockbuster leak, which was first covered by 9to5Mac, confirms previously reported details about the device, like a facial unlock system Apple calls Face ID, along with new features that haven't been previously reported.
It also seemingly confirms what Apple will call the more expensive, premium iPhone 8 model: the iPhone X.
Here are the details:
- The facial recognition feature used to unlock the iPhone 8 will be called Face ID, according to the leaked software. Here's an animation of the feature's logo that 9to5Mac claims to have found in a video tutorial:
- New "Animojis" are essentially 3D emojis that the leaked iOS 11 code describes as "custom animated messages that use your voice and reflect your facial expressions." Apple will apparently use the iPhone 8's facial recognition feature to make these work. Here are some examples:
- The software leak confirms the iPhone 8's larger display with a notch at the top center. Developer Steve Troughton-Smith tweeted examples of what the new design will like:
- The iPhone 8 will feature a virtual home button instead of a physical one, as evidenced by the line at the bottom of apps for swiping up to access the button:
- 9to5Mac's findings also confirm that the next version of the Apple Watch will feature a cellular connection, making it capable of using the internet without being connected to an iPhone. The new Apple Watch will share the same phone number as the iPhone it's paired with, according to the code.
- A new version of Apple's wireless AirPods will also include a redesigned charging case with a light on the outside of the case for showing charge status.
- 9to5Mac also got its hands on a slew of new wallpapers coming to the iPhone 8, which you can view at this link.
- Separately, Steve Troughton-Smith found evidence in the code showing what Apple will call the three new iPhones: the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.