A look at the retailer mobile wallet market through 2021 and what factors make this technology an appealing option for specific industries
This is a preview of a research report from BI Intelligence, Business Insider's premium research service. To learn more about BI Intelligence, click here.
Retailers like Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts are winning over consumers with their mobile wallets — apps developed by stores to make it easier for their customers to pay, and to deliver valuable perks.
And these retailer wallets are leading the overall mobile wallets industry, thanks to their ability to rapidly push out innovative features like rewards programs, coupons, mobile order-ahead, and custom marketing.
This may be surprising considering that retailer mobile wallets can be used only at a specific retailer’s locations; in contrast, popular universal mobile wallets like Apple Pay and Samsung Pay can be used at multiple retailers, as long as users are using the necessary smartphones.
In a new in-depth report from BI Intelligence, we assess what makes these mobile wallets so successful and which retailers can most effectively leverage the technology to push sales, traffic, and average ticket size. The report also outlines what makes these mobile wallets attractive, and discusses some of the advancements being made in the payments industry that will affect mobile wallets' growth rate.
Here are some key takeaways from the report:
- Retailers with large addressable user bases who are loyal, repeat visitors, will see their mobile wallets continue to be popular with consumers, especially as there continues to be slow merchant adoption of near-field communication (NFC) technology as well as weak offerings by universal mobile wallets like Apple Pay and Samsung Pay.
- Loyalty programs will be a significant driver in retailer mobile wallet adoption. Companies like Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts have been able to leverage their loyalty programs to acquire mobile wallet users, which, in turn, has driven store traffic and conversion rates.
- By leveraging these programs, sales are expected to grow at a five-year compound annual growth rate of 68%.
- However, adoption will begin to decelerate as a result of increased competition by 2020. As universal mobile wallet players begin to add effective loyalty programs and coupons to their offerings, adoption for retailer-based mobile wallets is likely to slow down because these offerings are their main marketing points.
In full, the report:
- Explains what hurdles universal mobile wallets have faced.
- Details what features retailers have adopted into their mobile wallets that have been successful
- Analyzes the use cases of retailers that have successfully leveraged their mobile wallet offerings to push growth.
- Identifies how universal mobile wallets will eventually slow growth for retailer-based mobile wallets.
Interested in getting the full report? Here are two ways to access it:
- Subscribe to an All-Access pass to BI Intelligence and gain immediate access to this report and over 100 other expertly researched reports. As an added bonus, you'll also gain access to all future reports and daily newsletters to ensure you stay ahead of the curve and benefit personally and professionally. >> Learn More Now
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Now