Amazon Pharmacy will offer Prime customers two-day delivery on medications and price cuts on both generic and brand-name drugs, the company said.
- Amazon launched its Amazon Pharmacy service on Tuesday, meaning it is now selling prescription medications in the US.
- Amazon said Prime members would get perks including two-day delivery and big discounts on generic and brand-name drugs.
- Prime members can get discounts of up to 80% on generic drugs and 40% on brand-name medications when paying without insurance, the company said.
- This is Amazon's latest push into healthcare.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Amazon said Prime members would be eligible for two-day delivery of medications and price cuts on both generic and brand-name drugs.
Amazon said Pharmacy customers could type their insurance information and select payment options in a "pharmacy profile." Customers will be able to buy drugs through Amazon's main website.
Prime members can get discounts of up to 80% on generic drugs and 40% on brand-name medications when paying without insurance, Amazon said.
Amazon said it would also show comparisons to highlight whether it's cheaper for customers to pay through insurance or to rely on the company's discounts.
Patients can ask their doctors to send prescriptions straight to Amazon Pharmacy, Amazon said.
This is Amazon's latest push into healthcare. The company bought a small drug-delivery startup called PillPack in 2018. In June 2019, Amazon launched a brand of over-the-counter medications, and in August it launched a health-monitoring wristband called Halo.
"As more and more people look to complete everyday errands from home, pharmacy is an important and needed addition to the Amazon online store," Doug Herrington, Amazon's senior vice president of North American consumer, said in a statement.
"PillPack has provided exceptional pharmacy service for individuals with chronic health conditions for over six years. Now, we're expanding our pharmacy offering to Amazon.com, which will help more customers save time, save money, simplify their lives, and feel healthier," he added.