- UK-based luxury brand Burberry announced on Thursday that it will release face masks.
- The masks haven't been officially released yet but customers can sign up on the brand's website for updates. Each mask will cost £90 (about $120).
- With this launch, Burberry becomes the first major luxury house to release a face mask collection amid the pandemic.
- The brand said that 20% of the proceeds from this mask collection will be given to the Burberry Foundation COVID-19 Community fund.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
On Thursday, the brand announced the mask release, though the exact date they'll be made available to the public has yet to be revealed. As reported by The Guardian's Hanna Marriott, Burberry says their face masks have been sustainably produced, made from excess fabric and "enhanced with an antimicrobial technology."
According to Burberry's UK website, the masks will cost £90 (just under $120) each.
This isn't the first time Burberry has produced face masks, but it is the first time the brand has produced them for commercial use amid the pandemic
In April, Business Insider reported that Burberry was using its trench coat factory to produce PPE, including hospital gowns and face masks, for health care professionals fighting the COVID outbreak in the UK.
The brand also established the Burberry Foundation COVID-19 Community fund, which has been helping health care professionals and others who are being severely impacted by the coronavirus outbreak, and has donated funds toward vaccination research. Burberry was not alone among luxury brands in its charitable efforts - Gucci, Versace, Chanel, and Louis Vuitton also made sizeable donations to coronavirus relief efforts in Europe.
Since April, many smaller and younger independent brands have released pricey face masks for commercial use, INSIDER's Celia Fernandez previously reported. But heritage brands, like Chanel and Louis Vuitton, have shied away from producing their own high-end masks for commercial use. Until now, that is.
Burberry's face masks will be available in two colors: beige and pale blue. Each mask comes with a small travel pouch, allowing one to carry their mask securely. The brand will also donate 20% of the selling price of each mask to the Burberry Foundation COVID-19 Community Fund.