This is a preview of a research report from Business Insider Intelligence, Business Insider's premium research service. To learn more about Business Insider Intelligence, click here. Current subscribers can log in and read the report here.
Edge computing solutions are key tools that help companies grapple with rising data volumes across industries. These types of solutions are critical in allowing companies to gain more control over the data their IoT devices create and in reducing their reliance on (and the costs of) cloud computing.
These systems are becoming more sought-after — 40% of companies that provide IoT solutions reported that edge computing came up more in discussion with customers in 2017 than the year before, according to Business Insider Intelligence's 2017 Global IoT Executive Survey. But companies need to know whether they should look into edge computing solutions, and what in particular they can hope to gain from shifting data processing and analysis from the cloud to the edge.
There are three particular types of problems that edge computing solutions are helping to combat across industries:
- Security issues: Edge computing can limit the exposure of critical data by minimizing how often it's transmitted. Further, they pre-process data, so there's less data to secure overall.
- Access issues: These systems help to provide live insights regardless of whether there's a network connection available, greatly expanding where companies and organizations can use connected devices and the data they generate.
- Transmission efficiency: Edge computing solutions process data where it's created so less needs to be sent to the cloud, leading to lower cloud storage requirements and reduced transmission cost.
In The Edge Computing Report, Business Insider Intelligence examines how edge computing is reducing companies' reliance on cloud computing in three key industries: healthcare, telecommunications, and the automotive space. We explore how these systems mitigate issues in each sector by helping to efficiently process growing troves of data, expanding the potential realms of IoT solutions a company can offer, and bringing enhanced computing capability to remote and mobile platforms.
Here are some key takeaways from the report:
- In healthcare, companies and organizations are using edge computing to improve telemedicine and remote monitoring capabilities.
- For telecommunications companies, edge computing is helping to reduce network congestion and enabling a shift toward the IoT platform market.
- And in the automotive space, edge computing systems are enabling companies to increase the capabilities of connected cars and trucks and approach autonomy.
In full, the report:
- Explores the key advantages edge computing solutions can provide.
- Highlights the circumstances when companies should look into edge systems.
- Identifies key vendors and partners in specific industries while showcasing case studies of successful edge computing programs.
Interested in getting the full report? Here are two ways to access it:
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Now
- Subscribe to a Premium pass to Business Insider Intelligence and gain immediate access to this report and over 100 other expertly researched reports. As an added bonus, you'll also gain access to all future reports and daily newsletters to ensure you stay ahead of the curve and benefit personally and professionally. >> Learn More Now
The choice is yours. But however you decide to acquire this report, you've given yourself a powerful advantage in your understanding of the fast-moving world of edge computing.