The "Flying Fox" yacht, rumored to be worth $400 million and owned by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, was spotted off the coast of Turkey in photos on Twitter.
- A mega-yacht rumored to cost $400 million spotted off the coast of Turkey in photos circulating on Twitter was rumored to belong to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, but a representative of the company told INSIDER it isn't his.
- The "Flying Fox" yacht was reported to anchor off Datça, a popular tourist destination in Turkey, in early July, but it was unclear whether Bezos was aboard.
- Rumors that the yacht belongs to Bezos have circulated since 2017, when the Lürssen yacht-building company began construction on what was referred to as "Project Redwood."
- A photo of the Flying Fox gained traction on social media after the journalist Yashar Ali tweeted it was Bezos' new yacht, but Ali later deleted the tweet. Amazon told INSIDER it didn't know who owned the yacht.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A representative of Amazon told INSIDER Saturday night that, despite reports that a mega-yacht spotted off the coast of Turkey in early July cost $400 million and was owned by Jeff Bezos, the Amazon CEO does not own the yacht and the company doesn't know who it belongs to.
Photos of the mega-yacht in question began circulating on Twitter Saturday, with rumors and media reporting that the vessel belonged Bezos, although it was unclear whether he was onboard at the time it was spotted in Turkey.
Turkish media first reported that the yacht was anchored off the coast of Datça, a popular tourist destination in Turkey, on July 9. Original tweets claiming that the yacht belonged to Bezos have since been deleted, along with the original photo, but screenshots continue to circulate on social media.
—Sam (@halaljew) August 3, 2019
Yashar Ali — the journalist who tweeted the photo and caption in many of the screenshots circulating on Twitter, but who later deleted his tweet — told INSIDER that the picture was initially posted by the jewelry designer Loree Rodkin, who posted the photo on Instagram on Saturday with the caption "When u own amazon...(guess who)....your rental boat is bigger than a hotel....🙈...welcome to the neighborhood .🛳🇹🇷"
Rodkin didn't immediately return Business Insider's request for comment.
According to yacht statistics from the website Superyacht Times, the mega-yacht in question is called the "Flying Fox" and was constructed by yacht-building company Lürsen Yachts. The Superyacht Times says that it is 136 meters long and sleeps up to 22 guests with a 54-person crew.
The Times also says the yacht as having been completed and become operational in 2019, with 36 guest cabins, including 11 VIP cabins, and four decks onboard. It is also reported to have a 12-meter swimming pool and is pictured to have a helicopter pad.
Rumors that the yacht belongs to Bezos can be traced back to 2017, when it was still under construction and referred to as Project Redwood. Since then, Bezos is estimated to be one of the world's richest people.
This post was updated on August 4, 2019, to include a statement from Amazon.